Thursday, January 15, 2015

On to Bookcase Three


Yesterday I completed the second book in my one man mission to go round the library: Under Your Skin by Sabine Durrant (310 pages). This is a Kafkaesque crime story where a woman finds a murder victim in the opening chapter and gradually becomes drawn into the case. It's impossible to discuss the storyline too much without spoiling the plot but it certainly has lots of twists a rather unusual ending! It was a fairly easy, enjoyable book to read, certainly better than Bookcase One's Errors of Judgement. I award it 7/10!

Bookcase 3 was completely uncharted territory for me as none of the authors or books I had read before. In the end, after two books by female former broadsheet journalists, I opted for a book by a male American writer, not the sort of book I would normally read, but that's the whole point of this project, to re-examine my own selection process for what it is that I decide to pick.

The book I chose was The Black Dahlia by James Elroy, someone I have not come across before. It (or at least the author) had a glowing recommendation from a British broadsheet The Independent on Sunday on the cover, which I suppose vaguely continues my theme so far.




Should I not like this book, I have a couple of back-ups from Bookcase 3, which like most of the shelves in the crime section, contain impressively recent publications (I think books 1 and 2 were published in 2013 and 2014 respectively).

No comments:

Post a Comment